Friday, July 24, 2009

A Trip to the Zoo (Again)



Today I volunteered to watch my friend D's two boys aged 6 and 9. My boys went to their house yesterday, so I figure it's a fair trade. Knowing that D's boys love to be outside and my boys don't, I decided that a trip to the zoo might be a nice way to please everyone. Me, six kids, and a cooler headed to the zoo. It's a hot day, but the zoo is shady and breezy. The kids were not impressed with their sandwiches. "What's wrong with this bread?" said D's oldest son. Well, it was the whole grain healthy bread with little seeds and junk in it that really makes kids jump for joy. My kids are used to it, but I guess I should've bought a cheap loaf for our guests' sandwiches.

D's boys are good kids and don't cause too much trouble when they come over. The oldest is kind of a prankster and thoroughly doused Dade with a cup of water from the zoo's cooling mist machines. It looked like he peed his pants, and Dade actually said, "Now you'll make me embarrassed in front of all these people!" This from the boy who has no trouble picking his nose, falling flat on his face, or messing with his, um, junk in front of "all these people."

The dumbass in the butterfly pavilion in his attempt to prevent butterflies from escaping, let 4 of my kids out of the building but not me and the other two. We had to wait inside for other groups before he finally let me out to join the 4 unsupervised rugrats. Thank you, Pimple McSophomore for your careful regard for the safety of my children (dripping sarcasm).

We had a lovely time, but my kids (especially, you guessed it, Brody, and I quote in typical Brody style, "Are we gonna be here forever??") were a little anxious to get going. We just went to the Children's Zoo last week, and they went to the Omaha zoo on Sunday. I think they have their fill of the zoo for awhile.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Pimple McSophomore...priceless.

I think that 1 adult and 6 kids at the zoo qualifies you for some sort of Purple Heart.

Sara said...

That is an awesome acomplishment for the woman who "loves" the zoo. You were probably thinking the same thing as Brody!!!

Kudos!

Carrie said...

The quote from Brody cracks me up! I'm pretty sure he said about the same thing when we went to the fish hatchery. It was something like..
Brody: We come here everyday!
Me: No we don't.
Brody: Okay, every time we come to Grandmas.

This is true but what else does NE Nebraska have to offer???