Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall Soccer is Over and My Boring Life


Brody had his last fall soccer game last night. The Avengers lost, but everyone got a medal so I don't think they really cared. Not that they ever cared whether they won or lost. Four of the five boys really only cared that they got to breakdance, trash talk, or do cartwheels during the games.

I've spent the morning making phone calls and trying to get stuff worked out with the minivan I'm inheriting. I can't believe all the little things I do every day that seem so insignificant but aren't. I love the writings of A.J Jacobs who chronicles all the social experiments he tries: spending a year following the Old Testament word for word, reading the encyclopedia from cover to cover, and outsourcing his day to day dealings to an Indian personal assistant, among others. My favorite of his experiments is when he spent 30 days doing everything his wife told him to do. Everything. He was amazed at how much she did that he took for granted: remembering birthdays, buying shampoo, letting the dogs out to pee, etc. I'd hate to imagine what life for my family would be like if I died, not only because they wouldn't have their wife/mom around but also because no one would wipe pee off the toilet seat or order check blanks or take the dogs to get shots. Or pay bills or feed the dogs or clean the litter box or throw away rotten food from the fridge. Or brush their teeth. That reminds me, I should be working instead of blogging.

No comments: