Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sea Monkeys


Dade has always wanted sea monkeys. Sea monkeys are a species of brine shrimp engineered specifically to live in little aquariums in the bedrooms of 11-year-olds. I'm not sure what's so fascinating about them. For his birthday we gave him a sea monkey habitat. Dade and my brother Adam got everything set up, and we anxiously awaited the arrival of the little swimmers.

The directions said the critters should hatch in about 7 days. After two weeks I was tired of looking at the water and decided to dump it and try to start over. As soon as I picked up the little tank, I noticed itty bitty creatures swimming around. The sea monkeys had hatched! They are now getting pretty big, but they're still only about as big as an ant. It's hard to make them out in the photo, but they're the little white floating specks.

No comments: