Monday, February 22, 2010

60 Years and Counting


We celebrated Colby's grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary on Sunday. It's hard for me to imagine what 60 years feels like, but it's not hard for me to imagine being married that long.

I know how life can be twisty and turny, trust me. We've had a few really crappy days in the Vescapades home beyond the average fight over taking out the trash. We've been through lay-offs, long separation, miscarriage, and Brody. Trust me, we're strong.

But I also know that we have not yet begun to face some of life's most difficult moments. Right now our kids are young, healthy, and not having sex or doing drugs or robbing liquor stores. We haven't faced the health problems that come with age. I don't know what it's like to have to kiss my husband good-bye one last time before death takes him away from our happy life in the nursing home.

And when the time comes to face life's tough moments, I hope my husband will hold my hand and kiss my forehead. I hope I will tell him how strong and brave and wonderful he is. And I hope that he knows that I worry about him every morning when he leaves for work and how grateful I am when he walks through the door in the evening. I worry about him because I love him so much that 60 years wouldn't be enough time to fit it all in. 60 years would never hold all the memories I want to make with him.

But if we can be lucky enough to have 60 years, I will never let one pass without being the woman he needs me to be.

Congrats, Marvin and Winona on your 60 years. You still hold hands and smooch.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

What a very sweet posting.

And good for you for realizing that successful marriage requires cultivation and work.