Monday, February 22, 2010

Evelyn and Chocolate

I must share a story from Saturday evening that is somewhat embarrassing for me. I have to share because it's a prime example of not only the honesty of children but also Evelyn's ability to "know-it-all".

Evelyn has a doll, a dark skinned doll. My mom bought a light skinned doll for Soren and a dark skinned one for Evie so we could know which doll belonged to which girl. Simple logic. Soren was playing with the doll Saturday night, and wanting to be a part of her game I asked, "Soren, what's your baby's name?"

Innocent question. Not-so-innocent answer. Soren responds, "Um, chocolate." The doll is dark skinned, I must remind you.

I say, "I'm not sure that's such a good name for your baby." Evelyn points out, "Why not, Mom? She is black, isn't she? Chocolate is black and so is the doll." Truer words were never spoken.

No comments: