Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Homemade Toaster Pastry

As a kid, one of my absolute favorite foods were Pillsbury Toaster Strudel. I loved pooping them in the toaster and squeezing that little tube of frosting on when they were done. I haven't bought them in years because they have absolutely no redeeming nutritional value.

One day while watching Food Network, I saw one of their chefs making homemade toaster pastries, and I said to myself, "Hot damn!" Actually, I said it out loud, but whatever.

Today I tried my first batch. I have never worked with puffed pastry dough before today, and I actually think it was really easy and pretty tasty. Now, the recipe on Food Network had a filling made of blueberry jam boiled in a pan with cornstarch until thickened. Although that sounds yummy, I had a can of cherry pie filling in the cupboard, so I thought that would do.

So, all you have to do is thaw the puff pastry sheets, lay them out on a lightly floured surface, and cut them into 4 equal strips per sheet. I put just about 4 or 5 cherries and some of the sauce down on the pastry strip, wet the sides of the pastry with water so it would stick together, folded the strip in half, and crimped the edges with a fork. I lost a little filling along the way, but I'm not in this to be prom queen. I just want something yummy.







Bake at 425 for about 12 minutes. I didn't want to overcook them because I want to be able to reheat them in my toaster oven without burning them.


I made a quick powdered sugar and water glaze for when they are cooled off. Sure, they aren't Pillsbury, but they are still delicious!

No comments: