Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Laundry Soap

An old high school friend of mine introduced me to this recipe for laundry detergent. I thought it sounded interesting and easy, and it's really inexpensive to make. So far I've found it's performance acceptable, and I especially love the fresh, clean smell of the Zote soap. I don't have babies in the house anymore, so I'm not sure how great it would be on breast milk or formula stains. I generally pretreat major stains anyway.

So without further ado, here is homemade laundry soap:

Ingredients:
2c. Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soap
2c. Borax
1/2 bar Zote soap, grated



Put all ingredients in an old ice cream bucket or other container and mix well. You only need about 2 tablespoons per load in a front loading washer and maybe an extra tablespoon in a top loader. From experience, if you own a front loading washing machine, do not put this soap in the dispenser because the Zote will stick in the dispenser and not make it into the washing tub. I just dump it on top of the load inside the washing tub.

I bought a cheap cheese grater at the dollar store; it works just fine. Zote is pretty soft, and you can also substitute a whole bar of grated Ivory Soap if you can't find Zote. All of these ingredients may be a little tricky to find, especially the Washing Soda and the Zoat. I suppose Wal-Mart carries all of this, but you all know how I feel about Wal-Mart. I found everything at Super Saver. Zote comes in pink and white, so in the photo of the completed laundry soap you will see flecks of pink from my previous batches.

No comments: