Thursday, December 16, 2010

One More Thought on Healthcare

I was just reading an article on HuffPost about a 5-year-old with leukemia who has been receiving treatment since she was three years old. Her father is a disabled veteran. Her mother works part time, and she has 5 siblings. The story is an attempt to get this girl's story out there to raise money for her medical expenses. Apparently the first medical bill the family received following the girl's diagnosis two years ago was for more than $49,000 (more than the family made in income the whole year). The family is also asking for grocery store gift cards so they can buy food and toiletries.

One of the comments posted under the story was really thought-provoking for me:

How can a country as wealthy and powerful as the United States relegate whether or not someone dies to charity?

Oh.my.god. I support universal health care, but this comment made me shiver. I'm rendered speechless, really. I think that comment says it all.

No comments: