Friday, December 9, 2011

Advent Calendars

While on one of my regular shopping trips to Trader Joe's, I noticed they had Christmas Countdown (aka Advent) calendars for a mere 99 cents. Thinking this would be a great way to prevent the kids from asking me every single day how many more days until Christmas, I snagged four of the least religious looking ones and added them to my mountainous cart of goodies. Yes, people, my grocery bill is sometimes more than my mortgage payment. That's what happens when you don't buy Banquet Meals, Hamburger Helper, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

But I digress...

December 1st arrives, and I bust out the Advent calendars. The kids were so excited that I was going to let them have a chocolate every morning for a month! Hooray! You're the best mom ever! We love you, Mama!





Hold on a minute. No one gets to eat his/her chocolate for the day until everyone, yes EVERYONE, is ready to leave for school. (Cue sighs)

However, the sighs quickly turned into action. From December 1st until now my children have been fabulous at getting ready for the day. I haven't had to fight anyone to get dressed or get on shoes. Everyone eats his or her breakfast. Brody even combs his hair without a peep. All of this thanks to a little piece of chocolate every morning.

Now, I know that Christmas and Advent are for many about celebrating the birth of little baby Jesus. I know that the story says angels sang and wise men brought gifts. I know it's said that the birth of a savior signaled the end of certain eternal damnation for sinners.

However, not even the gift of eternal salvation is better than the gift of three kids getting ready each morning without a fuss. This wise lady is very glad she bought the kids the gift of an Advent calendar so that they all sing like angels when it's time to get dressed, "Okayyy Mommmm!" Forget about Advent celebrating the upcoming birth of a savior. From now until Christmas it's about celebrating those glorious little chocolates and their magic ability to get kids going in the morning.

Advent chocolates in the hands of an agnostic feminist: making eternal damnation a whole lot sweeter one day at a time.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

You are my kind of mama.....nothing moves JT out of bed in the morning like the advent calendar. I know that it's wrong, but Jesus has been exploited for far worse than this.