Friday, December 2, 2011

A Little Taste of Jersey

Back in June when we went to visit the Sassafras house in New Jersey, our hostess introduced us to some delicious rolls called Portuguese sweet bread. Since I recently discovred that I can bake yeast breads, I purchased a little booklet from my favorite local book store. It's called Basic Bread Baking, and it's just one in a series of Stoney Country Wisdom Bulletins. Some other booklets in the series? Homebrewing, Home Repair, Backyard Chicken Coop, and Herb Gardens. You get the idea, right?



As I was thumbing through the booklet, I saw a recipe for Portuguese Sweet Bread! I was thrilled and decided to try it out. So, I followed the directions, but my rolls just wouldn't raise. I waited and waited. I tried all the tricks I knew to get dough to rise. Sadly, and defeated, I baked the rolls. They were like little hockey pucks, but they were freakin' delicious! Brody said they were the best rolls ever.


Later as I was on the phone with my step mom, she said, "The barometer's all wacky because a storm is coming in tomorrow. That's why your bread didn't rise well." I had no idea, and I felt greatly redeemed and uplifted (my spirits had risen, so to speak).

So, Vescapades readers, next time you plan to bake bread or rolls be sure to check the barometer.

No comments: