Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My New Tattoo



So, that's my new tattoo. It's on the arch of my left foot, and it's pretty small. The symbol is an Om (pronounced aum), which is an important mantra in yoga. The Om symbolizes a unity of ourselves and everything that is. So, it symbolizes our connection to the universe. The Om represents respecting our past, finding joy in the present, accepting what happens in the future, and recognizing the part of us that transcends time.

Why did I put the Om on my foot? In yoga, your feet are your ground, your strength. If I feel like I am struggling in my yoga practice, I have a reminder that I am strong and grounded, that I can meet a challenge or accept my shortcoming. Yoga is about accepting your body for its strengths and weaknesses, challenging yourself in both mind and body, and finding joy not in "things" but in life itself. It's a pretty powerful symbol, and I hope I can live up to it's meaning.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Nice......but golly, my feet are sensitive. Getting that tattoo would be a big ouchy.