Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Well, Christmas is over. The presents are opened. Copious amounts of junk food have been consumed. The snow has all melted. The magic had faded. . . or has it?

The kids are playing with their toys. Colby is helping them play with their toys. The house will be filled with the sounds of children on break from school. They have so many new toys and clothes that every day for at least two weeks will seem like a day of surprises. I also got some great gifts, which I will enjoy for the next year and far beyond.

I am reminded that another year has nearly come to an end. My babies continue to grow despite my objections. My husband will spend yet another period of time far away. I turn 30 in 2009. Christmas, with all its joys, is also a time of melancholy. The ghosts of every meltdown, harsh word, and screaming fit reappear. I always promise never to let it happen again, but, alas, I am weak. So, as I look back at 2008, I will remember both the joys and sorrows, the do-overs and the have-to-do-it-agains. I wish for nothing more than health, safety, and a reunification of our family.

The magic of Christmas will survive all year long, and let's hope that we all survive, too. Not just survive - thrive!

No comments: