Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!



Mother's Day is a special day. It's special for the things moms don't do today: laundry (I did some loads anyway), dishes, cooking, cleaning, etc. It's also special for the things moms do every day: give love, get love, explain why we have to take a bath, tuck in at bedtime, heal ouchies, and much more. Moms come in many shapes and sizes. Moms sometimes fail but mostly triumph. Every now and then moms need time to act like kids again. Sometimes moms love dads, sometimes moms love mamas, and sometimes moms have to love themselves enough to go it alone. Whether our children grew inside us or inside another, the connection between mom and child is instant and powerful. To all the moms reading this, this day is especially for you, but everyday that you are with your child is special and amazing and stressful and complicated.

My husband is a blessing today and everyday. Although he didn't let me sleep in this morning (which was okay because then we could beat the breakfast rush at Cracker Barrel), he baked a cake and frosting from scratch. I cut the recipe out of the newspaper on Friday and dropped a huge hint that it was what I wanted for Mother's Day. The cake was delicious, and Colby even cleaned up the mess afterward. I also received wine glasses, but I'm not sure that I'll get a chance to sit down and enjoy a glass of wine tonight. The Shiraz is calling, but my line is busy right now.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Great post about moms.....and I'd recommend that you drink some milk in the new wineglasses, while enjoying your chocolate cake (which looks yummy).

cospesc: A Russian term for when things go very bad at the Space Station.