Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The First Day of School (And Soren's First day of Being Alone)

All week long Brody and Evelyn have been excited about today, the first day of school. Brody knows that many of his friends are in his class again, and he can't wait to see them. Evelyn is thrilled about going to kindergarten. Dade is understandably less excited for school to start. He's starting 7th grade, which means even more homework and even more social stress.

I woke Dade promptly at 6:15 am, after already having turned on the coffee pot, of course. I made him eggs with runny yolks and toast for breakfast. It's amazing to see him sit at the table eating like the growing boy that he is. I remember walking him to the bus for his first day of kindergarten. He was so excited to ride the bus. Now, riding the bus is nothing more than time to read a book and listen to music on the headphones. That is, unless someone is throwing glue on the bus. Dade had officially entered puberty, and I know that these next few years will be a time of great change and anxiety about fitting in. Luckily for him, he is witty and flexible and generally makes friends easily. He doesn't care if he plays alone or by himself and often prefers solitary activities. I suppose boys have it easier than girls at this stage of life. Still, I hope that his years as a teenager will not be frought with the stress of trying to fit in.


Brody woke up with crazy bedhead, as usual. He is rather particular about his hair, but I convinced him to at least let me water it down for the first day of school. He bought a hat with his allowance and wanted to wear it to school. I told him he'll have to keep it in his bag all day, and he agreed. He agreed without any type of resistence or bitching. YES! Brody is starting second grade.


He wouldn't walk with us on the way up to the school, but he kept looking back to see if I was still there. That's so Brody. He wants to be a big kid, but he still wants Mom around.


This morning was huge for Evelyn. I woke her up so that Daddy could see her before he left for work.

She had a really great morning, got dressed without complaining, got her bookbag and lunch bag, and waited patiently for time to go. I knew I coldn't cry when I dropped her off. She was so excited, and I didn't want to ruin it for her. She wanted to hold Soren's hand while they walked up to school. It made me so proud to see them hand in hand. I hope they never lose that feeling as they grow up, even through all the fights and bickering.

Kindergarten, here comes Evelyn, iCarly backpack in her hands and attitude in her pocket.


Evelyn was all smiles when I took one last photo while she waited in line to go inside.


Soren probably took it the hardest this morning. While Evie wouldn't even kiss me goodbye, Soren was sad as we walked away. "I don't want to be alone by myself," she said. I took her to the YMCA daycare while I worked out. For the first time she was all by herself there. She packed her backpack with snacks for daycare, so I sat her at a table to eat before I left her. She did great and was ready to go swimming when I came to get her after my workout. She's happily watching a tv show that she chose, not one that Evie chose for them. I think she'll discover a new independence now that Ms. Bossy is at school.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Wow ---- your back to school days so trump mine. I hope that Soren enjoys her me time......sounds like it will be a bit more quiet as your house Until school gets out, anyway).