Friday, August 13, 2010

Shame on You, Target

I read this morning on the Internet an article about the recent protests of Target stores across the country. Here's a little part of that article:

Target's $150,000 donation to a business-oriented group supporting Republican Tom Emmer, an outspoken opponent of gay marriage, was one of the first big corporate contributions to become known after the U.S. Supreme Court threw out prohibitions on corporate spending in elections earlier this year.

I do about 90% of my grocery and household goods shopping at Target. I also get really pissed when corporations take any stance that could impact how gay Americans are treated. I haven't bought any Smucker's products since they said Johnny Weir was too gay for their Stars on Ice tour. My sons will never be Boy Scouts because gay Scouts aren't allowed.

As much as it pains me, I may actually have to start boycotting Target. Right now, gay rights groups are attempting to convince Target Corp. to donate an equal amount to an organization that supports gay rights causes. If Target can redeem itself, then I can continue to be a loyal customer. If not, then I may not be able to do a full-on boycott, but I can most certainly take my business elsewhere as far as grocery purchases are concerned. For a family like mine, that's an easy $500 a month.

If the Supreme Court now says it's okay for corporations to use their deep pocket books to promote political causes, then we as Americans have a responsibility to fight back. I can't give $150,000 to anyone, but I can take my $500 a month elsewhere. And so can you.

I suppose by the time I stop shopping places that use their wallets to support anti-gay political causes, I won't have anyplace left to go. If I boycotted every business that won't go green, exploits its workers, and promotes social inequality I would be shopping at, um, Goodwill, I guess. Hell, even the CEO of Whole Foods is an idiot, saying shopping at his store is the cure for America's obesity epidemic. Apparently, he's forgotten that Whole Foods sells all natural Cheetos, organic soda, fatty frozen pizzas, and beer.

Perhaps the larger part of this picture is the influence Corporate America has over our political system, and the lack of influence my vote carries. It is a sad day when a dollar is worth more than a vote. And there sure are lots of those days.

2 comments:

denimflyz said...

It is almost scary how much power the big box and multi-national corporations have over decisions, from the Target to the big Phar that control your medications that someone needs. They are getting to where their decisions can/or will make or break you.
I am not sure of how to battle this except how you control your money, but it seems with the economy the way it is, the big box corps make it hard for you to shift your dollar, but sometimes you just have to make a stand, sacrifice things to make a point or to stand on your soap box and rant. Maybe, enough of us hold on to our dollars and take it elsewhere, it WILL get noticed and maybe hurt the pocketbook or the boardroom decisions.

Stacy said...

Good for you.

If enough people stop shopping at Target (and let them know why), they'll change real quick-like.