Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Big Eight Zero

Today we had lots of company as we celebrated Colby's grandfather's 80th birthday. He actually turns 80 on election day '08. How cool is that? We had a great time. We played football in the front yard, ate lots of yummy food (Connie's noodle salad and Nona's buns!), and played board games. It was very laid back and fun.

While talking to some of our visitors today, I noted that three of the under 30-year-olds in the family were not going to vote. This made me sad because the reasons why were, "I don't really like politics," and "It won't make a difference." Maybe it's just the political scientist in me, but what's up with that??? Why is this generation not taking the responsibility that we who live in a democracy have to participate in the system?? If our current situation doesn't inspire them to vote, what will?

I hope at least a few of the culprits read this blog and are guilted into voting. God forbid they should vote for John McCain, but I'd rather have them at least vote for something!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I am similarly confounded at those who don't vote. I try to remind myself that not voting is also a choice. But, wow, not a choice I'd make!