Friday, March 20, 2009

I'm Special

After all the years I spent hammering GW Bush, I never thought I'd be hammering Obama. Well, certainly I thought I'd be picking on Obama for something a little more intellectual if I was going to be picking on him at all. The stupid comment Obama made on Leno comparing his bowling game to the Special Olympics was really insensitive and rude. I think we're all guilty of making bad jokes at the expense of "retards" or "downies" or some other group of people. I have caught myself calling the lady at the McDonald's drive thru window a "downie" and regretted it later. However, I'm not the president. It isn't my job to be a representative for an entire nation. That was what pissed me off so badly about GW: this man who was a total moron went around the world and represented me, average Jane American, and did a horrible job. Embarrassing, really.

So, even though I don't necessarily find a comment like Obama's as being unusual in day to day conversation, I expect more of the man representing me to the rest of the world. The president is always a normal human being who makes mistakes. I'm just tired of those mistakes making us look like idiots.

No comments: