Friday, March 6, 2009

Kitten in the Bong

At my brother-in-law's request, I feel I must blog about a recent headline here in Lincoln: Man Arrested for Placing Cat in Bong. It's a headline that makes you go WTF?? and then wonder who would want to put a cat in a bong. . . because it fits??? Like cats need anymore encouragement to just lay around. We all know my feelings about marijuana - smoke if you got it. I've been pregnant or nursing since 2002, so at this point the only thing I do is wish I had a bong to put a cat in. . .

Anyway, stoners are generally not seen as threatening. There aren't many headlines about people robbing grocery stores for money to buy weed. It's reasonably inexpensive and easily accessible. In some towns it's easier for teenagers to get pot than beer. However, this cat in the bong story, as hilarious as it may be on its face, is only one of a trend. I have read recent stories of parents teaching their toddlers to smoke weed in order to keep them mellow while the parents get high. The people I know who smoke weed on a regular basis are good, hard working, decent people. They know when it's appropriate to get stoned, even though they get drunk probably more often than they should. I could make a case for legalizing marijuana, but I think I wear rose colored glasses on the issue. As I said, my experience with pot has been one of recreational use and appropriate use (for the most part). The idiots who try to get their pets and kids high make me take a step back.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

I am also a legalization fan.

Though not for cats, I think. But only because cats with the munchies would be odd.

Naphint is my verification.....that's what happens when you think your kid might sleep at naptime because eyes drift shut. But it doesn't last: naphint.