Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wal Mart

I went to Wal-Mart today. I hate Wal-Mart, as most of you know. It just happened to be the nearest place to Home Depot with both milk and shin guards. The reason we were at Home Depot: our dishwasher is broken, so now I have to hand wash everything until at least March 20th. Yuck. So not only did I have to dish out $600 for the dishwasher, I also had to dish out $20 to Wal Mart. I'm not sure which is worse, really.

My brother-in-law commented in an earlier blog that he wants to set up a spanking station at the zoo for parents to spank their kids in private. I suggest also setting up a station that's just me with a big stick hitting the idiots who come in and out of Wal-Mart. I always feel dirty when I leave that place, like some little girl in China has just earned her pennies for the day because I wanted to save a few cents on my laundry soap. I understand that we can't all be rich and have cell phones and cars and Levi's. Is it too much to ask that Americans sacrifice a few hundred dollars a year so that we can tell Wal-Mart that we value our local communities and our global communities more than saving 50 cents on Charmin?? If anything, I hope this recession makes us see the importance of not only saving money but also of saving our friends and neighbors. We may start to value our loved ones more than how much money we can spend on our loved ones.

In the end, we really aren't saving money shopping at Wal-Mart. I won't go into the big discussion why, but feel free to read the numerous books dedicated to the subject. For now, I just want you all to remember the value of your family and friends. . . and your dishwasher.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love wal-mart. People watching here is very fun. Give me some popcorn and a bench I could do this for hours.

scott

Anonymous said...

Stopped at whole foods today for milk, sorry Sam W.

Scott

Stacy said...

I share your sense of Walmart. And the feeling dirty when I've been there.

And I share your gratitude for a dishwasher. I say a blessing over mine nearly every day. Hope the 20th gets here quickly.