Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First Healthy Body Update of 2011

Now that the hustle and bustle of the holiday season is over, the Vescapades family is back to our normal routine. I'm already back in the gym. Soren and I went to story time today. Soren had egg in a basket for lunch; I had nachos. We are, indeed, back to our predictable pattern.

Speaking of the gym, I'm having a little trouble setting my fitness goals for this year. Last year I wanted to join a gym, workout, lose weight, and clean our cupboards of boxed meals. I did all of those things, and by the grace of god I continue to make all of those things part of the Vescapades routine.

Here's the rub for me this year: I'd like to lose maybe 10 or 15 more pounds, but I absolutely cannot afford to buy a new wardrobe again. Last year I went from a size 16/18 to a size 12, and now my size 12 pants are getting just a little bit loose (not enough to be baggy, but loose). I got rid of all the "fat" pants and capris and bought all new, including my first pair of skinny jeans. I even got to buy new underwear and bras. I just can't imagine having to purchase new clothes again no matter how good it makes me feel.

To this end, I haven't really been watching my calorie intake too closely. I workout 4 or 5 times a week and still make most foods from scratch. My rule is that if I CAN make it from scratch I SHOULD make it from scratch. But I also don't deny myself that extra helping at supper or ice cream like I did when I first set out to lose weight. I still, in fact, eat way too much. I eat nachos (with homemade salsa - my new fave) pretty much every day for lunch while Soren eats her daily egg in a basket. I just discovered that Trader Joe's has awesome organic corn chips, even better than my beloved Target organic corn chips. But I digress...

I'm not yet sure what weight goal to set. I know that I want to continue to keep exercise and healthier eating as part of the Vescapades routine. I want to keep off all the weight I've lost because there is no way in hell I'm buying new fat pants. I also want to learn to make yeast bread so I can add homemade bread to my list of stuff I don't buy premade anymore.

Here's to another year of a healthy body.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

The weight loss is excellent....and you've kept it off, so that's happy. So maybe make your new fitness goal something related to strength. Add some weight lifting so that you will have more muscle and that muscle will burn fat more effectively if, say, you do eat that extra tortilla chip.