Friday, January 7, 2011

Lunch with the Kindergarten

Soren and I spent his morning and afternoon having lunch, recess, and lots of fun with Evelyn's kindergarten class. Here's are a few things I learned today:

#1: Kids love it when someone comes to visit their classroom. A few of them even unzipped their already zipped coats so that I could help them zip their coats. They all wanted to talk to me. I felt like the queen of the class.

#2: I could never be a kindergarten teacher. Mrs. K. said all things I say to my kids like, "It's your job to _____ right now. Do you think you can do that?" Only here's the thing, she has to say it 20 freakin' times. I admire her ability to keep everything under control because I would've walked out at least twice. I think her secret is to "punish" bad behavior right away instead of giving a bunch of warnings. Those kids know she means business.

#3: Not only is Evelyn very smart, but Soren is also really bright. She loved participating in the activities, and she could hold her own counting and identifying number with kids twice her age. I suppose I'll have to learn some of those little rhymes Mrs. K. uses to spell words. Soren loved the little chants and dances. I think a few of them may have helped me get through college.

#4: School lunch sucks. Evelyn and Soren wouldn't touch the fruit or carrots (both out of a can), things they normally eat like crazy at home. Well, fresh ones anyway. No wonder Evelyn wants sack lunches every day. I didn't mind eating a little canned fruit cocktail. Kind reminded me of my childhood.

#5: Sorry, but some of the sack lunches looked worse than the school lunches. I saw a kid with a Big Grab bag of Cheetos, a Hi-C "juice" box, and "cheese" and crackers. Really, couldn't the parents at least pack real cheese and not cheese product? I have to add that this child's parent is actually a teacher at the school. I expected a little more, I guess.

Evelyn wants us to come back every Friday. Mrs. K. probably wouldn't mind the help.

No comments: