Thursday, April 16, 2009

Rights and Responsibilities

Throughout my high school years I did quite a bit of volunteer work. I was a candystriper, ESL tutor, and Bible School teacher (stop laughing). I used to give little presentations about Spanish and Mexico at a few elementary schools, and I tutored a Hispanic woman who knew no English. After the birth of my son my sophomore year of college, I felt that I had so much on my plate that my volunteer work ceased. God knows I would've made a donation if I actually had any money. My plate is still exceedingly full, but the incessant urge to help has never gone away. I've started to make small but regular donations to one of the local homeless shelters. I've written letters to the editor to help promote social causes. I always ache to join the latest political campaign or help out at the kids' school, but, alas, I never quite find the time.

The young son of a girl I went to high school with was recently diagnosed with a rare and aggressive lymphoma. He's only 7. Reading that made me realize not only how absolutely precious each moment with my family is, but also that I really need to start doing more to help others. We always talk about rights in this country, but having rights is not the same as having entitlements. Having rights means having responsibilities. Having responsibilities requires us to be mindful of not only what we are doing to help others but what we aren't doing. I'm not saying we all need to drop what we're doing and be selfless nuns or something. I just want everyone who reads this to take a look around and see what you can do. We have to stop being selfish and start being true Americans: pinnacles of freedom, charity, and strength. Keepers of the gold standard of societies. Purveyors of justice and equality. Protectors of human rights.

President Obama has been encouraging Americans to get out there and volunteer. If nothing else, I hope these hard economic times can make us all see what's valuable. We need to stop seeing our cars and houses as status symbols and instead view our families and our actions as what truly show our worth and wealth.

And by the way, I appreciate all the TEA parties held around the country yesterday. Yay free speech! However, I'd like to keep the following and need your tax dollars to do it: police force, fire stations, libraries, roads, tornado sirens, food stamps, mail, public schools, and safe food. I thank you in advance for your continued support. Oh, and safe drinking water. And go ask the Somalians if they like having low taxes.

No comments: