Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Swine Flu


Colby and I have many spirited discussions about labor unions and the meat packing industry. Pork is our livelihood. I know where my meat comes from: animals locked in tiny cages that don't allow any movement, lives of constant suffering, lots of unnecessary drugs, followed by a trip on a truck to be slaughtered. "They're just food," Colby says. True, but if you've ever seen the videos of egg factories and hog confinements you may think twice about that food.

The so-called "swine-flu" is causing new upheaval in our house. Pork prices are falling because people hear swine flu and think they can't eat pork. Some foreign countries are no longer importing our pork. Not good for the pork industry's bottom line, and not good for me. Granted, the stress and unsanitary conditions of animal confinements breed perfect conditions for the spread of disease. However, lets remember that consumers demand low cost food. You can buy organic and free range meats and eggs, but you won't have money left to pay your mortgage. I fully support the purchase of local foods, organic foods, and growing your own foods. I wish I would do more of all three. Let's remember that this flu may be scary, but it's not caused by eating pork. It happens just like all the other flues of the world: sneezing, coughing, close contact, and not washing hands.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

In this case, ignorance is not bliss. I think that the H1M1 name has started to stick....at least around here.

I'll buy some ham this weekend as an act of solidarity.

verify is mings....as in the vase, I presume?