Friday, September 18, 2009

My New Plant



After funerals there are often numerous beautiful potted plants and flowers that need a happy home. Unfortunately for this plant, it got to come home with me. I can raise kids, but I can't keep a house plant alive for the life of me.

I know nothing about this plant, not even what kind it is. I hope it isn't toxic for cats because Tiger loves it. My neighbor called it a "fake banana plant." I bought it a new pot and some good potting soil to keep it happy. It gets some some sun, but not too much, at its current location in front of the banister.

If anyone knows what this thing is and how to care for it, I would appreciate any input. Does it need lots of sun and water?? For now, I'll just water it and give it some sun. I hear that music makes plants grow better, and hopefully this one likes Green Day and Miley Cyrus. It will have to learn to like the sound of Keith Olberman's voice, or at least Rachael Maddow. Good god, what if it's a conservative houseplant??

1 comment:

Stacy said...

The plant is called a shefflera and it's my absolute favorite. This one is a beauty. They like southern light; if it's not getting enough light it will grow a bit spindly. Indirect light is best, but hard to get. Let it dry between watering, but don't let it get too dry (every 4-6 day should do the trick).

Enjoy it!