Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Perspective

Sometimes I get so frustrated with my children. They can make me madder than anything on this earth. I get so tired of listening to them fight and cry and whine and tattle. I'm fed up with complaints about dinner, wiping butts, and filling sippy cups.

But I think sometimes what my life would be without all the insanity. I think how lonely I would be without anyone to scold and how helpless I would feel if I couldn't tie their shoes or help them with a band aid. I think sometimes how nice it would be to not have to worry so much about what will happen to me, if I will get to see my children grow up or how they could live without me (or how I could go on without them). I get angry when I think of all the bad things that await them in their lives and cry because I know they will hurt.

I've learned many things in the 11 years I've been a parent. Children make our lives worth living, but they make that life both sweet and bittersweet. Parenthood is filled with joy and worry, elation and pain, tears of joy and tears of sorrow. I live in the confort of the mundane and relish the day to day activities of being a mom.

I've been thinking a lot about life. And I kind of like mine.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Well said.

I envy you all those children, by the way. Yes, I did say that :). My biggest regret is that I don't have a few others to drive me insane. It's clear that you appreciate your little blessings.