Saturday, March 27, 2010

Can't Mess Up These Potatoes


My family and friends love these roasted potatoes. I make them often in the wintertime because once summer comes I won't even use my oven. I don't really have a recipe. I just throw stuff in. There are few important notes about my famous potatoes. I always use Yukon Gold, red, or red-skinned yellow potatoes for the creamiest flavor. Plain old potatoes will work, but they just don't have the same fluffy, creamy texture. Plain old Russets will work fine, but they're a little more firm and have a more earthy flavor. Always preheat the cookie sheet in the oven while the oven is heating. I always line my cookie sheet with foil and spray it with non-stick spray. I have forgotten this step before and have ended up with half of the potatoes stuck to the sheet. Such a waste.

So, here's the basic recipe. Figure out how many potatoes you need for your family. I need a ton. Leave the skins on and chop them into about 1-inch cubes. If you chop the potatoes too small they will fall apart.

In a bowl with the chopped potatoes pour in a good glug of olive oil, a good sprinkling of kosher salt, a few turns of freshly ground pepper, and a minced clove of garlic. I also sprinkle in garlic powder if I happen to be out of garlic or my garlic has gone bad. Sprinkle in some onion powder (nobody in my house likes big chunks of onion, so the powder is a great substitute), parsley or chives, and a big handful of Parmesan cheese.

Stir it well and dump it on the preheated, lined, and sprayed cookie sheet. My cookie sheet is a little full in the photos. I maybe should've used two. Oh well. Bake at 425 degrees for as long as it takes the potatoes to turn soft and fluffy. At the end, I turn on the broiler and get the potatoes nice and brown.



That's it. Colby says they're great leftover, too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stacy said...

These look really yummy. I see them in my immediate future.