Saturday, March 13, 2010

Johnny Weir: Too Gay for Figure Skating

I have a thing for gay men. I love the Logo network. I've seen every episode of Queer as Folk. I love watching drag queens. I love Lady Gaga. But my favorite gay celebrity by far is Johnny Weir. For those of you who aren't familiar with him, he finished 6th place at the Vancouver Olympics this year in men's figure skating. He is a three-time United States champion. He also has a documentary-style show on the Sundance Channel. He's also, for lack of a better description, flaming gay. He doesn't hide one little ounce of his gayness.

Now, one would think that being an elite athlete in men's figure skating would be the perfect job for a gay man. Seriously, does anyone out there ever think, "Gee, I wonder if that male ice skater has a girlfriend?" Hell no. Gay is the assumption. There is nothing wrong with that. It just isn't seen as a straight man's sport.

To make a very long story short, Johnny Weir is a very talented, championship-winning ice skater who is brilliant on the ice and draws huge crowds in the figure skating community. He was excluded earlier this month from Stars on Ice after it's sponsor Smucker's decided Weir is not "family friendly." Because he's a flamer. Despite the fact that Weir is putting his brother through college and basically supports his parents due to his father's medical disabilities, Weir isn't family friendly.

I know, I shouldn't be so naive as to think that gay/lesbian folks aren't still facing rejection simply based on who they love. However, I never, ever dreamed that a man would basically told he's too gay for figure skating.

I will no longer be purchasing any products with the Smucker's label. I know it isn't much, but I'll try and do my little part to stand up for my gay/lesbian friends.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Sign me up for the Smuckers boycott.