Tuesday, March 30, 2010

LB 1103 Can Suck It

From the 10/11 News website (which wouldn't let me post the link for some reason): Nebraska lawmakers are set to debate a first-of-its-kind bill that would change the current foundation of abortion restrictions.

The bill (LB1103) scheduled to be debated on Tuesday would bar women from getting abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, based on the assertion that fetuses feel pain by then.

The current criteria is fetus viability -- the ability to survive outside the womb. While determined on a case-by-case basis, viability is generally attained at 22 to 24 weeks.

The bill would make it tougher for women to get second trimester or late-term abortions by requiring them to be near death or at risk of irreversible physical harm.


This really pisses me off. You all know I'm pro-choice. I love babies. I love children. I love that I can have 10 kids or no kids because this is America. I love that I can have an abortion if I decide that getting knocked up by my one night stand really wasn't the best idea. If I want to implant 8 eggs during IVF and have what equates to a litter of puppies I can because it's my right to be an irresponsible idiot when it comes to my uterus. But I better not need an abortion in Nebraska after 20 weeks unless I am "near death" or "irreversible physical harm."

This bill is poorly worded and unnecessary. Nebraskans are so caught up in restricting abortions, especially those after the first trimester, that they have lost sight of all the living, breathing, and suffering people in this state. Children live in extreme poverty, homeless shelters, abusive homes and all I hear from many Nebraskans is about how "those people" have kids and just want entitlements. They don't want to hear about all the shitty things that happen to Nebraska's children. They'd rather hold up their aborted fetus signs in front of Planned Parenthood (drive by 33rd and South here in Lincoln on Fridays and show your SUPPORT for Planned Parenthood). They'd rather cut funding for medical care for pregnant women. Yes, the legislature just did this. Shows how much they care about fetuses.

I'm so mad that I can't even put together a decent argument. I must go storm off and kiss my daughters. Good god I hope that they don't ever have to choose between continuing a pregnancy or putting off life-saving cancer treatment or something. I wonder of that would make them "near death" enough under this bill?

No comments: