Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Babysitting

One of Evie's classmate's mom needed a babysitter while she went to a doctor's appointment. Despite the fact that all four of my kids are home this week for Fall break, I said I would watch her three girls (ages 5 years, 3years, and 2 months).

Poor little baby Sophia was mobbed for about the first half an hour. All of my kids wanted to talk to her and hold her. Her own big sisters were also in her face. Little Sophia took it all in stride and didn't even fuss.


All of the kids were really good. My biggest worry was that poor Sophia would get kicked, stepped on, or otherwise injured by an overzealous big kid. She came through unscathed, so I might even get asked to babysit again.

I realized during my short time with the baby that there is no way on this earth that I could have another baby. It's been so long since I've had a child in the house that was totally defenseless against the accostings of daily family life that I forgot how much anxiety exists just in making sure a baby isn't squashed, shaken, trampled, or dropped.

I think I'll stick to my diaper less, baby gate-free, no-anxiety-while-peeing life.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Okay.....but when do we get to pee unsupervised? That strikes me as the milestone I'll be most proud of achieving.

Did I just reveal my epic family dysfunction to the internet? Why, yes, yes I did.