Friday, October 22, 2010

Baking Marathon

I love to have little get-togethers at the house, so when my friend asked me to have a Scentsy party for her I was all for it. I made cute invitations and decided that some yummy Autumn-inspired foods would be a great complement to an all girls party.

I started by making a Blueberry and Blackberry Galette around 9:30 am. It's basically a flat pie, I guess. I saw a photo in a cookbook and just knew I had to try it. The galette was yummy and had a touch of corn meal in the crust giving it a little something special.


Next came a caramel apple pie I found on The Pioneer Woman blog. I checked out The Pioneer Woman Cooks a few months ago from the library which in turn led me to her blog. Here's the thing: I made my own pie crust for only the second time. Though it's delicious, it's also really frustrating for a newbie like me. Plus, I had already made the crust for the aforementioned blueberry galette and was quite crusted-out by this point. The pie got rave reviews (one friend said it was the best apple pie she'd ever eaten) but was a bit sweet for me. I'm more of a straight-up apple pie girl, I guess. Check out the Pioneer Woman's blog for the pie crust and caramel apple pie recipes.


So, at this point in the baking marathon it's gotta be close to 1:00 pm. I've made galette and pie, Soren's requisite egg-in-a-basket for lunch (how many of these things can one girl eat? Answer: at least one a day), as well as homemade garden veggie cream cheese. But the show must go on, so I readied the kitchen for my famous chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. I can pretty much bake them with my eyes closed by now. Thanks to Colby's grandma for the recipe. They are always a hit, so I brought some to the girls' dance classes on Saturday morning for their Halloween parties. More on that in Saturday's blog entry.

Next came three loaves of Pumpkin Gingerbread. I haven't eaten any yet, but I can tell you this: those who ate it loved it, and it smells divine. My friend wanted a doggie bag of apple pie and pumpkin gingerbread, and I just happened to have a few extra plastic containers lying around. What are friends for?


Last but not least, I stirred together some Mulled Cider. Gala apple cider, cinnamon sticks, citrus, ginger, cloves, and honey simmered away in the crockpot for the afternoon. Mmmmmmm. Bar far my favorite creation of the day. I'm a total sucker for a good cider.


I finally hopped into the shower at 2:30 pm having baked and cleaned up after baking all day long. Soren was totally neglected but didn't seem to mind too much. As long as she had her daily egg-in-a-basket, edamame, chocolate milk, and Yo Gabba Gabba she was great. I hurried to pick the kids up from school at 3:30 pm, and was home in time to finish up my hair and makeup, get the rooms prepared for company, and ignore my children's supper requests (daddy took them to Amigos and then swimming).

The Scentsy party went really well. All the ladies had a great time and had lots of good things to eat and to smell.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Wow ---- I am impressed!