Monday, June 22, 2009

Summer Is Here

Summer has officially arrived, and it greeted us with a hell of a thunderstorm and a heat index warning today. Colby took the recycling bins to the curb this morning. When I called him at 7:15am to tell him thanks, I'm sure the bins were already filled with 20 gallons of rainwater. At least they didn't blow away like the patio table and umbrella did. Lucky for me, the recycling picker upper took all my soggy recyclables.

I let the kids go outside this morning, but in an effort to thwart a constantly-running air conditioner told them they must ask permission to open any door that leads outside. As a result, the air conditioner has actually turned off many times today instead of running nonstop despite the blazing heat.

In honor of summer I want to share my kids' favorite smoothy recipe with you. They had it with lunch today.

Blueberry Smoothies
1 c. vanilla soy milk
1/4 c. frozen blueberries
1 spoon full of frozen apple juice concentrate
1/2 banana, better frozen but can be fresh

Mix with hand blender or in a regular blender. You may need to add more soy milk if it's too thick to suck through a straw.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

The smoothie looks yummy. We're still waiting for the humidity around here....you know the kind that clouds your glasses when you walk outside at 7 am. Soon enough, I'm sure.

And, yes JT is tall (his buddy D is also a bit small for his age.....but JT looks like a giant next to him :).