Thursday, February 26, 2009

Playdate

One of Brody's classmates' mom called this afternoon and asked if we all wanted to come over and play. Sure, why not?

Brody proceeded to call the other little boy names and got put in timeout. Soren decided to go for a little run around the house without her diaper and peed on the floor. I''m sure there were toys everywhere in their playroom. Needless to say, I'm not sure we'll be invited back anytime soon.

My boys tend to be a little on the rough side. They like to yell and tackle and fight. Brody kicked the neighbor boy in the face and gave him a bloody nose this week. I really hope that other parents still want Brody to have Brody over for playdates despite his rough and tumble behavior. The boys also tend to call each other and other kids names, the most popular being idiot or poophead.

I don't think I should have to make excuses for their behavior, but I usually do. My boys are not quiet. My boys are not the type to sit still. The problem is that Brody can dish it but he CANNOT take it, at all. I read somewhere that kids these days are almost given too much supervision. They aren't allowed to argue or work out their differences because parents interject too often. They can't move past the differences because they haven't been allowed to resolve them independently. Arguing and wrestling has gotten such a negative connotation. I do it all the time, yelling at Brody to "be careful" at the playground. . . the PLAYGROUND! Isn't this where kids should be allowed to go wild? If someone ends up hurt, it's all part of the environment, right? I don't want other parents to think that I approve of my son's behavior, but should I have to apologize for and micromanage his every move???? I certainly expect that my kids could likely get hurt at a park filled with tons of kids. I expect that their feelings will get hurt when someone calls them a name. I don't think I should be so worried about what they're doing all the time and just let kids be kids. If the other kids don't like what Brody's doing, they won't play with him anymore, and he'll change his behavior.

Rant complete.

No comments: