Friday, January 16, 2009

The Band



Dade had a band concert last night. After hearing him practice since October, I was skeptical as to what kind of a "concert" this would be. Dean, Connie, Carrie, and her latest beau came down to cheer Dade on, which was about the nicest thing they could've done. We braved the frigid air and took our seats in the front row ready to hear some "music".

I was pleasantly surprised that all the squawking and blurping I'd been listening to the past few months actually sounded pretty good when 20 other kids did it together. Dade was so concerned about how he was dressed and was particularly careful to make sure his hair was perfect. He sat in the row with the other trumpet players; one kid dressed nicely in a two-sizes-too-big button up shirt and track pants. I wondered if the shirt was his dad's. Then I wondered if he was taking fashion advice from Brody, notorious for choosing his blue plaid button up shirt with maroon track pants.

I thought back to my band days, how nervous and excited I was at concerts. Dade looked great playing his trumpet, and he sounded great, too. Brody and Soren hung out with Aunt Carrie. I think Brody was playing a game on Carrie's ipod because I kept hearing him say stuff like, "How could I die just from that?" Soren ended up with a high fever before the concert was over, and she's still got it today.

After the concert we all came back to our house for cookies and milk. Leave it to Grandpa and Grandma to bring junk food along with them.

No comments: