Friday, January 2, 2009

The Tradition Continues

Colby's parents stopped by today to bring us some of the items we couldn't fit in our van at Christmas. Upon their arrival, Dade asked if Dean would teach him to play rummy. I couldn't believe it, considering that Dade hates to lose at anything. So, Connie and Dade were a team against Dean in Dade's very first game of rummy. Dean kicked their butts, but there was no yelling, teeth clenching, or crying involved. They also played Battleship.

You see, cards are serious business on Colby's side of the family. His grandparents keep a running total throughout the year of how many games of cards each has won or lost, usually a total of more than 300, I think. Card games are a part of every family gathering. It's a great tradition, one that can be easily passed down to any willing participants.

I don't play cards. I really don't like to play board games, either. I hate to lose; I really, really hate to lose. I am, in fact, a sore loser. I throw things. I whine. I don't cry like Dade does, but that's only because I'm too embarrassed. The only game I ever like to play: Trivial Pursuit. The only time anyone can beat me is if I am suffering from pregnancy-induced mush brain.

I try to tell the kids that losing is just part of playing a game, when in fact losing is the reason I don't play the game. Another great Nichole parenting skills lesson.

No comments: