Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Reading Rainbow

Since we got cable a few months ago, my book reading has gone bye-bye. Damn Law and Order reruns and Food Network. However, I've made a commitment to read more. Since I am really a sociologist and social scientist at heart, I love to read non fiction.

I'm in the middle of a startling book called So Sexy, So Soon about how television and popular culture are sexualizing our children (especially girls). So far, I've found out that the problem isn't really that kids are learning about sex (that's natural), but that consumerism has changed what messages are sent to kids about sex. Narrow gender stereotypes are inundating our children, thanks greatly to corporate America. It's much more complicated and fascinating than that, so I recommend that you check out the book from your local library.

Next on my list? Another book about ADHD and a collection of essays. The last book I read was Middlesex. I saw the author on t.v. Ironic. Anyway, it's a great fiction read. Don't avoid it just because it's on Oprah's book club list.

I took the girls to storytime this morning at the library. They had a great time. It's the only time Soren ever ventures away from my side (okay, she runs away in Target). Some kid had on shoes with squeakers in them that squeaked with every step he took. Not a great choice for the library, mom.

No comments: